Geometrical model on a wall decoration

Weaving with triangles and fringes


When you start learning to weave there are a few small things to learn and practice. Triangles are one of the first things I tried. They are not perfect and they will never be. It is a long process but a beautiful one.  With every new thing I learn I get more attached and in love with weaving. There are also so many, many beautiful things to learn and I can’t wait.

This is my first attempt to do triangles on a homemade loom. I choose the color to match a furniture model in a bedroom. I think it is important that your wall décor to be part of the room story.

This weaving is 40 cm X 45 cm. The stick is 100 cm long.  

Materials:
 
  • -          Homemade loom
  • -          Hemp rope for warp
  • -          Plastic needle
  • -          Yellow yarn
  • -       Light Grey yarn
  • -       Grey
  • -       Blue yarn
  • -          Stick or branch for hanging


Directions:

Start warping the loom with a slip knot on the first screw. Pull your warp thread across your loom to the corresponding warp screw and bring your warp thread over the screw then down around the back.
Pull your warp thread across your loom again. So basically you are always crossing over the loom around the screws.

When you are done make a knot so your warp is tight.
With the light grey I made a base of a 1 cm long. With a needle I just did an over and under wave throughout the loom for a few centimeters.

With blue I started to do the triangles from the base. Your triangles should be centered. For the blue I repeated for 2 rows an over and under wave. After 2 rows I increased the number so I will start building the triangle. When I finished the blue triangle I started with yellow and worked this time only a row with an over and under wave.

With yellow I made a trapeze. This time I decreased each 2 rows to make the trapeze.

I finished the trapeze with blue and the same model. This time I weave an over and under wave for a row. When I finished the yellow-blue triangle I begin another blue one. I checked that all triangles will be center.

The last triangle was a yellow one.
After all my triangles were done I started filling with grey my weaving, first one side and then the other.
I finished the weaving with another 1cm long of light grey.

Cut the knots and take it out of the loom starting from the bottom. Make a knot out of 2 warp threads and then weave the ends in through the back of your weave.

Do the same thing for the top one. Take another piece of hemp yarn and stitch the weave on your stick. Use the hemp rope to hang your weave on the wall. Tie securely at both ends of your stick.

For a great effect make some fringes and add them on your triangle.


Enjoy weaving!


Weaving with triangles and fringes





You are welcome to make and use this pattern as you wish, but please do not sell the pattern nor claim the pattern as your own.
You are welcome to sell any item made using this pattern, but please credit the designer.
Please link back to this page if you write about the pattern in any way.


You may not reproduce the photos, pattern or tutorial, either partially or in full, contained in this post without obtaining written permission from me first.
If you would like to produce your own photo tutorial, video tutorial or translation of this pattern, please get in touch with me to obtain permission first.
Thank you!


Comments

Popular Posts